Know Your Child
Know Your Child is an education and awareness program for parents of teenagers to learn how to recognize the early warning signs of depression, suicide, drug/alcohol abuse, and other behavioral issues and provide information on available community resources.
If you are worried about your child follow your instincts. Unexplained changes in behavior and/or mood may be the early warning signs of trouble.
Have you ever asked yourself:
Is my child being bullied?
Do I know my child’s friends?
Does my child smell like smoke?
It’s OK to ask.
Have you seen this?
- Loss of interest in extracurricular activities
- Sudden drop in school performance & attendance
- General feeling of “I don’t want to go to school”
- Withdrawal from family or friends
- Secrecy about phone and internet usage
- Change in sleeping and eating habits
- Change in physical appearance
- Social avoidance/emotional withdrawal
- Mood swings/aggressive behavior
- Change in circle of friends
- Signs of substance abuse
What can you do?
- Stay calm
- Spend one on one time with our child away from distractions
- Discuss your concerns with your child & listen
- Keep asking. Be the parent who will listen when your child is ready to talk
- Call your pediatrician
- Seek an evaluation by a mental health professional
- Don’t minimize problems. Suicidal thoughts and behaviors should always be taken seriously
Where do I go for help?
24 Hour Emergency & Crisis Hotlines
- 9-1-1 if risk of danger to self or others
- 985-231-1142 for Crisis Counseling
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- VIALINK Information & Referral Line 2-1-1 or 1-800-749-2673
- National Alliance on Mental Illness www.namisttammany.org, 985-626-6538
- School counselors http://www.stpsb.net/schools_directory.php
- Pastor or faith leaders
- Family doctor
- St. Tammany Youth Service Bureau – www.ysbworks.com
- Fire District 1 St. Tammany – www.stfpd1.org
- St. Tammany Coroner – www.stpcoroner.org
This is cosponsored by:
Fire District 1
National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
St. Tammany Parish Coroner
St. Tammany School Board
St. Tammany Youth Service Bureau